ICT review (my experience)

Passed my first prop firm eval — ICT only, no courses, no mentors

June 15th I passed my first funded account.

Study material: ICT 2022 Mentorship + 2016 Mentorship on YouTube. That’s it. No paid courses, no Discord signals, no other gurus. Just that and a few books on trading psychology (Mark Douglas etc.).

Took me about 1.5 years of screen time on NQ/ES before it clicked. Lost accounts before this one — mostly discipline issues, not methodology.

So from personal experience: ICT isn’t a scam. The concepts work. Whether you can execute them consistently is a different question entirely — that’s on you, not the material.

2 Likes

Discipline makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing​:fire:

1 Like

Hi @bobil :waving_hand:

First of all, I’d like to congratulate you. Great job! Now you just need to secure your first withdrawal :wink:

I always tell people that ICT is just a set of concepts—nothing more. It’s not a trade strategy (system). You have to pick what works for you and then adapt it to suit your personality.

I’m interested in your journey toward profitable ICT trading. If you’re willing, could you share with us how you trade? What concepts do you use, and how? What metrics does your strategy achieve (win rate, average risk-reward ratio, profit factor, etc.)? I’m curious about your approach.

BTW, welcome here!

1 Like

Thanks a lot
Discipline is very important for sure!

Hi, @Daniel

Thanks a lot. I made 6% on funded yet and almost pass my 1 phase on 25k new challange.

Of course, I am ready to share my story. I first came across trading back in my high school years, mainly through cryptocurrencies. Like many beginners, I treated it as a way to get rich quickly, and as a result I ended up losing money due to lack of understanding and discipline.

At the beginning of my second year at university, I came across a 4-hour video on SMC where a trader explained different PD Arrays. That was the first time I started to look at the market in a more structured way, and I began applying those concepts in my trading.

A few months later, I learned that these PD Arrays originate from ICT. At that point, I made a decision to go directly to the source and treat ICT as my main mentor. I stopped consuming other trading content and fully focused on his material.

The first complete mentorship I went through was the 2022 Mentorship. I started applying that model with mixed results at first, but over time I began to see that the concepts were actually consistent and repeatable when applied correctly.

After that, I decided to study the 2016 Mentorship as well, since it was freely available, in order to deepen my understanding of the core principles behind the model.

My trading process is structured into three main components: Weekly Macro Analysis, Weekly Review, and execution during the trading week.

Everything starts on Sunday, when I build my Weekly Macro Analysis. The goal is to define my weekly bias and create a trading plan for the upcoming week. I take into account macroeconomic factors such as news events, Federal Reserve rhetoric, interest rates, and overall market sentiment. I also analyze seasonality and higher timeframe price action across monthly, weekly, and daily charts to understand the broader context.

Once the week begins, I focus on execution from Monday to Friday. I only trade the New York AM session. Around 15:30, I sit down to re-read my macro analysis, prepare my charts for the session, and complete a pre-session analysis where I map out everything according to my internal framework.

After the trading session, I record every trade in my journal, along with a separate consistency journal where I evaluate whether I followed my system correctly, regardless of the outcome.

At the end of the trading week, usually on Saturday, I conduct a Weekly Review. In this process, I extract data from my trading journal and analyze key performance metrics to evaluate both my execution and adherence to the system. This helps me identify patterns in my behavior, strengths, and areas that need improvement going forward.

2 Likes

I mainly use liquidity-based concepts, especially Turtle Soup (false breakouts) and liquidity sweeps as my core execution logic.

Since I trade the New York session, I always wait for the 9:30 open. If my weekly macro bias is bullish (based on my Weekly Macro Analysis), I look for price to sweep liquidity first — typically either the Asian low or London low.

After that liquidity grab, I wait for confirmation and execute using one of my entry models:

  • IFVG model

  • MSS (Market Structure Shift) model

  • Or simple candle engulfing after a sweep of the low

My targets are usually set at key liquidity areas such as London session highs or the previous day’s high (PDH).

The idea is quite simple in structure, but it took me a long time to understand and apply it consistently in real trading.

One of my current weaknesses is discipline in execution — I can still occasionally force trades before 9:30 or break daily risk limits. Because of that, I implemented an MT5 tool that closes any positions opened before 9:30 ET and disables the terminal after a stop-out until the next trading day.

In terms of performance metrics, I track several statistics in my journal, although my record-keeping is not yet fully consistent. From the data I have, the strategy shows an average R:R of around 1:4, with an estimated win rate of approximately 40%. However, I treat these numbers cautiously until my journaling becomes more structured.

Overall, my focus right now is not just on setups, but on executing the model with full discipline and consistency.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

I’d also be interested in learning more about your trading approach if you’re open to sharing. Specifically, how you structure your strategy, what concepts you focus on, and how your execution process looks in practice.

Always good to exchange perspectives with other traders and see different ways of interpreting the same market.

1 Like

Detailed, interesting backstory, I could say the experience is/was mutual, I love your trading approach, very similar to how I trade, , looking forward to sharing ideas with you . helping ourselves build confidence, structured model/system and discipline . look forward to hear from you ,soon

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed description of your trading approach and for sharing with us your path to profitable trading. I always find it very inspiring to read stories like this.

As for me, I have my own public trading journal here on the forum.

Daniel’s Public Journal

If you’d like, you can start one too. Here are a few good reasons to do so:

11 Reasons To Start Keeping A Public Trading Journal

Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to keep a public journal over the past year, as my other project—which I’ll be introducing soon—has been taking up a lot of my time.

However, I want to get back to it and share how my trading has evolved. I really have a lot to share.

In any case, it’s clear from my journal that I focus on simple and robust principles that constantly repeat themselves in the market. That’s the foundation of my trading.

I think it’s pretty pointless to go into more detail here, since I cover it in my trading journal. So if you’re interested, check it out.

Thanks again for your posts. I don’t know if you’re aware, but we also have a Discord server, so if you’d like to share your insights with the community, feel free to join us. Here’s the invite:

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

I’d be happy to be part of your community
Lately, I’ve been wanting to find like-minded people who take a serious approach to trading—unlike the guys on Twitter.

I’ve read these post about 11 reasons to start trading journal. It really feets with my needs, so i’m gonna start it too!

I’m gonna dive into a discord server and than create my journal.

1 Like

In my opinion, Twitter (X) is a truly toxic place to discuss trading topics. That’s one of the reasons I created this forum. Here, I can simply ban members who treat others disrespectfully. Plus, I can moderate the discussion to keep it productive :wink: